Please can you help me with answers to these questions
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:56
Forums

Hi Bob, The instructions for this product, which I understand Chemspec produces, do not really explain some aspects of its use.

Please can you help me with answers to these questions:

1. I need to get the longest working period before the product dries so I will add very little of the hardening compound.
  2. Does adding this sort of minimum amount of the red hardener lead to a less strong bond? If so what is the minimum amount of hardener that will give proper strength to the finished product after it fully dries? 3. If I mix say 250ml of the product and add a very small amount of hardener (say 4 matchheads-worth) how long will the mixture be workable for, before it becomes too dry to work with? I know it depends on ambient temperature etc and so am not asking you to guess those factors. All I want is a range estimate of time of workability at, for instance, 20 degrees celsius in a dry climate.

Thanks Cameron

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:57

Builders Bog cures by a chemical reaction which consumes the volatile component as it cures – tying it up as a cross-linking agent in the chemical reaction. If you add insufficient hardener, this reaction will not go to completion and you will be left with a weak compound that still smells strongly of styrene monomer. We adjust the gel time of every batch to between 6 and 8 minutes art 22 Deg C. using 40 gram of paste and 1 gram of hardener. This is 2.5 % by weight and 1.9% by Volume.

This is the ideal ratio for cure. You can go outside this and still obtain good cure, using from 1.1% to 5% by volume of hardener and this will vary the gel time. But 4 match heads to 250 ml will be about 0.25 ml. to 250 ml or 0.1%, which is far too little hardener. You can extend the gel time by putting the two components in a fridge first. Or use successive smaller fills one on top of the other. But you will not be able, at room temperature, to get longer than about 18 minutes working time before you spoil the cure.

The whole concept of Builders Bog is that it is fast enough for a tradesman to complete a job and finish-paint it in a couple of hours. Whereas water-based or solvent based fillers take longer and longer to dry as the thickness of the fill is increased, Builders Bog does the opposite, so the thicker the fill the more chemical heat is given off and the faster it cures.

I hope this helps
Regards Stuart Jordan
Managing Director